New Music Friday — “10,000 Hours” by Dan+Shay / Justin Bieber; “Lonely” by Diplo / Jonas brothers … Watching horror movies can age your face prematurely … Five things you probably don’t know about smiling … There’s a new “college admissions scandal” sexy Halloween costume … McDonald’s has its first holiday drink in six years which may or may not pair well with the returning McRib …
Contests on the show…
7:20am Best Weekend Ever (Amigos + Scarecrow Patch)
7:30am Big Ticket Giveaway Bonus Entries (HITS 106 Instagram)
8:20am Survey Says?! (Raising Canes + Kearney Cinema 8)
Big Red Predictions — Northwestern vs. Nebraska (Wendy’s + Big Red Tailgate VIP Bonus Entries)
New Music Friday — “10,000 Hours” by Dan+Shay / Justin Bieber
New Music Friday — “Lonely” by Diplo / Jonas Brothers
Watching horror movies can age your face prematurely…
It’s horror movie season, but you should probably skip it this year . . . if you don’t want to look old before your time. And don’t bother switching to comedies, because those are just as bad.
British researchers found that watching horror movies, thrillers, and comedies contributes to AGE LINES . . . because of all the different faces you make when you’re shocked and scared . . . or when you laugh.
A shocked expression isn’t good for your forehead lines. Squinting can give you frown lines and crow’s feet . . . and that’s a double whammy, because you squint both when you laugh AND when you’re scared.
And laughing can result in nasolabial folds . . . which sound kinky, but they’re just the folds that run from the corners of the nose to the corners of the mouth. (???)
So I guess if you want to stay looking young, maybe stick to “Lincoln” or “Hidden Figures” this Halloween?
Five things you probably don’t know about smiling…
Today is World Smile Day, so to celebrate, here are five things you might not know about smiling . . .
- Smiling is contagious. According to scientific research, neurons in your brain have a synchronizing feature that keeps you in sync with people you’re talking to. Meaning if YOU smile, THEY’RE more likely to smile.
- It can make you feel better. Science has shown that big, genuine smiles where you squint your eyes can boost your immune system and decrease cortisol in your body.
- It can reduce blood pressure. Smiling releases endorphins, which can lift your mood AND lower your blood pressure.
- It might get you promoted at work. Studies have found that employers tend to promote people who smile more often. And one reason might be that smiling shows your boss you’re engaged and easy to work with.
- Say “cheeks” instead of “cheese” when someone takes your picture. Saying “cheeks” shapes your mouth better than saying “cheese” . . . and it lifts your cheeks upward, which gives you a more flattering and natural smile.
There’s a new “college admissions scandal” sexy Halloween costume…
They can really turn ANYTHING into a sexy Halloween costume these days, huh? This year we already have new sexy costumes based on Mr. Rogers, plant-based burgers, tariffs, and the painter Bob Ross. And now, this.
An online store called Yandy is behind most of these costumes. And their latest is . . . a sexy COLLEGE ADMISSIONS scandal costume.
They did kind of phone it in on this one, though. It’s just a tight orange crop top with the phrase “Mom of the Year” crossed out and the word “INMATE” stamped on it instead. And it comes with high-waisted, tight orange pants.
If you’re interested, it’s on sale now for $70.
McDonald’s has its first holiday drink in six years… which may or may not pair well with the returning McRib…
If you’re already planning what you’re going to eat and drink on your road to gaining 15 pounds over the holidays, maybe make some room for this.
McDonald’s just announced it’s rolling out its first “seasonal” drink in six years. It’s called the Cinnamon Cookie Latte, and it’ll come in both hot and iced form starting on November 6th.
Their last seasonal drink was the White Chocolate Mocha in 2013.
McDonald’s also announced they’re bringing back the donut sticks they sold earlier this year . . . and this time around, they’ll come with a chocolate dipping sauce.
And finally . . . it’s McRib time again. It’s officially coming back on Monday, although some McRibs have already started popping up at McDonald’s locations around the country.
Survey Says?! Win Raising Canes + Kearney Cinema 8!
According to a recent survey, 71% of people prefer THIS over burritos.
More results . . .
It’s National Taco Day, and a recent survey found only 5% of us DON’T like tacos. 95% of Americans like tacos, and 76% have them at least every few weeks. Here are six more stats from two different National Taco Day surveys . . .
- According to one survey, our favorite taco filling is carne asada with 26% of the vote. Followed by barbacoa, 24% . . . chicken, 18% . . . carnitas, 7% . . . and veggies got 4% of the vote. But the second survey actually found chicken is #1.
- 71% of us prefer tacos over burritos.
- People in the western U.S. are more likely to prefer hard tacos over soft tacos.
- The average hard taco fan eats 7.3 tacos a month . . . they’re more likely to enjoy spicy food . . . more likely to be a dog person . . . and more likely to say they’re an extrovert.
- The average soft taco fan eats 6.9 tacos a month . . . is more likely to be a cat person . . . more likely to be a night owl . . . and more likely to be in a relationship.
- What goes better with tacos . . . a beer or a margarita? Margarita was the top answer.
And here are a few Taco Day deals to check out: Baja Fresh has a buy-one-get-one coupon. You can get two free tacos at Jack in the Box if you join their loyalty club. Long John Silver’s has free fish and shrimp tacos. And Taco Bell has a fairly lame four-taco “Gift Box” deal for $5.
The Moore Yoou Knoow!
Random facts to feed your brain…
- There was an official U.S. presidential yacht until Jimmy Carter got rid of it in 1977.
- Jesse Owens won the 200 meters at the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany. And the guy who came in second was ANOTHER African American . . . Mack Robinson, Jackie Robinson’s older brother.
- In the book “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”, the word “Wonderland” is only used twice.
- The Backstreet Boys never had a number one hit. The closest they came was when “Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)” got to number two in 1997. ‘N SYNC DID have a number one song, with “It’s Gonna Be Me”.
- The reason “Rx” is used for prescriptions is because it’s a short version of the Latin word “recipe,” which means “take.”